Starting a turkey farm in Africa is very lucrative, reason being that turkey farmers are already going into extinction here in Africa (Nigeria, Ghana, Morocco, Egypt, Kenya etc.) because everyone wants a white-collar job where he or she can knot a tie and sit in an air-conditioned office.
- How To Start Lucrative Tomato Farming Anywhere In Africa
- How To Start Lucrative Watermelon Farming Business In Africa
The demand for turkey meat is high, higher than the demand of chicken but unfortunately, the few turkey farmers in Kenya can’t meet up to demand.
This prompted some individuals to start importing frozen turkey from the capital of Benin which was later banned by the Kenyan government. The ban was to encourage turkey farming in Kenya.
Going into the turkey farm business is one decision that will no doubt change your financial status.
Apart from the fact that its target market is huge and the demand high, it’s very easy and not capital-intensive.
All that’s required is bringing out your time to kick-start this business. In this article, I’m going to give you a detailed overview of how to start a turkey farm in Kenya, or anywhere in the world.
REASONS WHY YOU SHOULD START A TURKEY FARM
1. The demand for turkey haven’t been met yet. Because of that, some people still smuggle frozen turkeys from Benin Republic down to Kenya.
If you can start a turkey farm, you won’t have to worry about demand.
2. Turkey meat is usually the best, especially for people who doesn’t have the strength to grind or tear meats like cow meat, goat meat etc.
3. Turkey by-products like feather, eggs and dropping is also another lucrative medium where money can be made.
4. Turkeys reach their market maturity age in 20 weeks . Once they are ready for the market, each can be sold out immediately.
5. Turkey farm is one of these agribusiness that’s not time restrictive or rocket science. The techniques or mode of operation is not different from other poultry farm like chicken.
There are numerous benefits to be derived from turkey farm, apart from making you financially buoyant and self-reliant, you help create employment opportunities by employing more hands.
This is usually done when your farm has grown big and can’t be single-handedly managed again.
- How To Start A Quail Farming Business In Nigeria (Africa) And Make Huge Money
- How To Start A Cocoa Export Business In Kenya And Make Money
HAVE THIS IN MIND BEFORE STARTING A TURKEY FARM
1. FARM STRUCTURE
This is going to be the place where your turkeys will be kept till maturity age and because of that, should be constructed in a professionally way.
The floor should be covered with materials like saw dust, paper sacs etc. This is to regulate the room temperature cause it should not be too cold or hot. A normal room temperature is what is needed.
Small Scale Turkey Structure:
When constructing your farm-house, take into account some predators like snakes. Build it in such a way that your turkeys are protected. Don’t forget to also make out a space for their feed and drinking pans.
2. TURKEY BREEDS
Recommended Services1. Boost Google Rank: Shoot Your Website To The Top Fast
2. 135+ 100% Dofollow Backlinks
3. Valid PayPal Account
4. Affordable WordPress Blog Design
5. Blogspot to WordPress Migration [Without Broken Link]
Just like other farm animals, turkeys also come in different varieties or breeds. It’s recommended you start with a day old turkey which is called poults.
Also purchase the male and female turkey cause it will aid the production of eggs.
TURKEY BREEDS YOU SHOULD KNOW
Wild bronze turkey etc.
Before 20 weeks, they are ready to get sold.
3. TURKEY FEEDS
There’s no wide difference between chicken feeds and turkey feeds. Some major turkey feeds are soybeans, millet, rice, corn etc..
The stage of growth determines the type of feed to serve. Take a look below at some different feeds:
Get a feed that’s very rich with protein.
The bigger the turkey, the bigger the feed cause they will require more energy to do anything, like laying of eggs.
Don’t forget to always give them lots of water. It’s fact that turkeys drinks more water than any other poultry animals.
NOTE : ALWAYS VISIT THE VETERINARIAN FOR CHECK UPS. INCLUDING DE-WORMING THE TURKEYS EVERY MONTH.
Before you start this turkey farm business, try to get as much knowledge as possible. This article might not be enough in terms of giving you all the ‘KNOW HOW ‘ tips. It’s encouraged that you meet a turkey farmer, or even watch a well detailed documentary about how to start a turkey farm here in Kenya.
Having all the knowledge required will boost your confidence and thereby trigger you to start this business.
- 10 Best SmartPhones Between 60,000 To 80,000 Naira In 2018
- Working PayPal Account That Send And Receive Money in Nigeria Without VPN
NOTE : DON’T FORGET TO DRAW A BUSINESS PLAN BEFORE STARTING THE BUSINESS.